What is International Princess Day?
International Princess Day is a holiday that comes around every year on May 5th to celebrate princesses around the world. The holiday was created by Princess Skye several years ago. Her posts on the holiday can be found archived here and here, as her original website, The Princess Portal, is not available anymore.
There are countless ways to celebrate International Princess Day. You can choose to indulge yourself in your favorite things, or to try to help others connect to their inner princess. You can celebrate with friends, or spend the day alone. The possibilities are endless, but I feel it is important for all princesses to celebrate the day in some way. It has always been a fun and spirit-lifting event that I look forward to every year. Since it is on a Sunday this year, now is the prime time to start celebrating this lovely holiday.
- Host a tea party. Invite your friends or local community to have a tea party. Consider baking or cooking some treats and brewing some tea for everyone. You could watch a princessy movie, play some elegant games, or host a photoshoot. This is a very good way to pamper both yourself and others.
- Volunteer. Never forget that there are people in the world who are less fortunate than you are. This day is a perfect opportunity to work on your attributes as a princess, particularly charity. Consider volunteering at a soup kitchen, homeless shelter, or children’s hospital. Try to find places in your area that welcome volunteers.
- Indulge. Sleep a bit longer than usual (-but not too much! You don’t want to waste your day sleeping.) Have your favorite breakfast and drink, whether at home or in a restaurant. Take a nice bath in the morning, maybe using some rare or extra-luxurious bath products. (Lush, anyone?) Eat something that may be a bit more unhealthy than you normally eat, but be sure you don’t indulge too much and end up being ill later.
- Go shopping. Try to find a consignment or antique store you’ve not been to before and browse. Even if you don’t have room in your budget to buy anything extravagant, this can still be a fun way to spend the afternoon. Shopping does not mean you need to spend a lot of money, or any at all- going to shops and looking around is just as fun, because then you have something to daydream about. You can even think about how to make the things you like at home. That being said, though, there’s nothing wrong with buying something small for yourself. Consider a new teacup, secondhand purse, a pair of shoes, or a hand fan.
- Crafting. Although I wouldn’t suggest attempting to learn a new craft on this day, as it can create much frustration and even minor injuries if you aren’t careful (especially with crafts that involve needles) if there is some craft that you already know and enjoy, now would be the perfect time to sit down and do some crafting, be it sewing, needle felting, embroidery, crochet, knitting, or even something like woodwork, soap making or upholstery.
- Relax! Although it seems quite obvious, many princesses forget to take time for themselves regularly. Planning your princess day around relaxation is a wonderful way to remind yourself to relax. Consider gathering some delicious snacks and sitting down to read a good book or watch a movie. Some of my favorite princessy books are The Secret Garden, A Little Princess and Princess Academy. My favorite princess-esque movies, besides the obvious Disney Princess movies and the film adaptations of the novels listed above, include Madeline, Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away, Alice In Wonderland, Pride and Prejudice, The Princess Diaries, and for a bit of humor, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
I will be writing more about International Princess Day as the date approaches, but I hope that you will all begin your planning your celebrations now!